Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - April Genevieve Tucholke The following reviews is available at The Reader: Between the Devil and The Deep Blue Sea Review

Initially i would read this book in 2014...it was on my reading list...was...exactly. I read this book within hours and i need more...more...more...more...
This book is the reason i want to wait for all the books of the series to be released so i can marathon those shit. It was that great.

It starts with Violet thinking back at her grandmother talking about the devil and how nostalgia tortures her. Throughout the novel Violet (and the author) make sure that we get that she had a great friendship with her now dead grandmother. As the plot progresses Violet comes face to face with a boy that is both mysterious and dangerous,,,she finds herself doing and feeling things she never did before and that makes the reader want more due to the amazing vocabulary the author chose.

The characters:
Violet although eccentric in her own nerdy way is also sweet and loving and caring and a snob. In other words not the perfect protagonist we all have accustomed to and that makes this book original. I loved loved the way she annoyed me with her stupidity at some parts of the book.

River is my new favorite protagonist. He didn't make it through the top 5 but definetely in the top 10. He is so mysterious and sexy and no matter his lies he still wins the reader. That means something right? I liked the way she annoyed Violet and how he evaded her questions all the time.

Luke and Sunshine are the same dull and crazy for sex people for me. They are the classic teens. Sunshine with her overconfidence and Luke the guy who pretends to be tough but he is softer than a blanket. I really liked that those two hook up a lot through the book cuz they are alike (a lot). I loved the subtle role of Luke as the old brother towards Violet but i hated the way she treated him.

The Grandmother: Well i am so sure that she will play a huge role in the following books. I wont spoil it for you but she also plays a role in this book too...she was one naughty belle when she was young.

The author did a good job developing the characters...making none of them perfect and i think that contributed in making the reader see them more human and relate himself with them. Big applause for that please.

The Plot:
I have to say that at some points i guessed a few things and i was right but i didn't expect the ending to be such a big surprise to me. That made the book a whole lotta better and a little more original.
The author did a great job with the descriptions and the words making the reader feel like sitting next to Violet and River. I could smell the rain while reading certain parts and thats not happening with a lot of books.

Overall this is one of my favorite books so far and i cant wait for the next ones to be released. I totally recommend it.